Your cart is eligible for additional savings:
5 Superfoods That Can Transform Your Hair
If you’re considering adding superfoods to your diet… ...it’s worth making sure they’re as beneficial for your hair as they are for the rest of you!
You’ve seen them on special displays in your local market.
You’ve read about them in magazines.
And you’ve certainly come across “clickbait” articles about them while surfing the web.
And everybody in the healthy eating community just can’t get enough of them!
The superfoods have been hailed by fitness experts, diet gurus, and celebrity chefs alike. Their high concentrations of healthful nutrients, vitamins, and minerals are said to offer your body a simply matchless array of benefits.1
But that doesn’t answer a key question, the one you clicked on this article to find out about:
WHAT FOODS MAKE YOUR HAIR GROW SUPER FAST?
After all, your hair is a distinctive part of your body...with special nutritional and dietary needs. So, if you’re going to consider adding the superfoods to your diet it’s worth making sure they’re as beneficial for your hair as they are for the rest of you! To help you out with this, here’s a closer look at the 5 items Everyday Health ranks as the top superfoods.2
This breakdown will help you decide whether these foods deliver all the health advantages you seek!
SUPERFOOD #5: KALE
This leafy green vegetable has become sort of the “poster boy” of the superfoods.
In a range of studies, it’s been cited as a contributor to lower blood pressure and cholesterol… and for its ability to improve your body’s absorption of calcium, for stronger bones and teeth. Fortunately, this ever-more-popular salad staple also offers considerable goodness for your hair!
You see, kale is chock-full of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
The fatty acids nourish your scalp and promote stronger circulation...preparing your follicles to grow you lots of thick, resilient, style-ready hair!3
Kale is also loaded with beta carotene, a pigment your body converts into vitamin A. This hydration-boosting vitamin keeps you properly moisturized, to prevent scalp dryness and dandruff.4
And the vitamin C in kale supports your body’s production of collagen...a fundamental protein for the structuring of sturdy yet flexible hair strands. So, try substituting kale for your usual leafy greens and your hair will experience a revitalized burst of volume, strength, and shine!5
SUPERFOOD #4: SARDINES
They may be small, and they can be smelly. But sardines are a superfood that prove you should never judge a book by its cover (or odor!).
The University of Maryland Medical Center has noted that sardines contain strong amounts of riboflavin, seen to help reduce the risk of migraines and cataracts and niacin, which has been linked to an improvement in arthritic symptoms.6
And, most crucially for your hair, sardines contain what Fox News calls “an insane amount of vitamin B12.”
This vitamin’s principal function is the creation of red blood cells. And the more red blood cells your body contains, the more oxygen they can take to the proteins in your hair strands firming the bonds that give your locks their structure, shape, and volume.7
Sardines are also one of the few potent dietary sources of vitamin D, which a recent scientific study suggests can actually promote the development of new hair follicles leading to thicker hair, and a decreased risk of excess hair loss!
That makes sardines a dynamite way to limit excess exposure to potential damage from nature’s other top vitamin D source...the sun!8
SUPERFOOD #3: TURMERIC
This beloved gingery seasoning is prized not just for its flavor, but its curative properties.
That’s because of curcumin, a compound found in turmeric that acts as a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent leading to dramatically enhanced protection against the inflammation associated with all manner of conditions, from metabolic syndrome to Alzheimer’s.9
Thankfully, these same antioxidants also battle the yeasty scalp buildup that causes dandruff.
And curcumin’s anti-inflammatory powers can reduce the risk of scalp infections and injuries that choke off your hair’s ability to grow. So spicing up your diet with a touch of turmeric won’t just set your taste buds tingling.
It will also nurture and nourish your scalp, for smoother-growing, cleaner-looking locks!10
SUPERFOOD #2: BEETS
Excuse the pun...but when it comes to healthy eating, it’s pretty hard to beat beets!
Studies have shown that drinking one glass of beet juice a day can lower your average blood pressure by up to 5 points!
And the heavy vitamin content of beets has also been linked to improved brain and liver functions, and a compelling increase in stamina.11
What’s more, beets are another superfood loaded with nutrients that improve circulation to your scalp. And they’re especially high in potassium...a mineral whose deficiency has been connected to the buildup of sodium around your follicles…which can block them from growing fresh hair!12
As a bonus, beetroot juice can even be used as a safe, all-natural dye, to give your hair a fetching reddish tint! It’s just one more way beets can make your hair look and feel amazing...inside and out!13
SUPERFOOD #1: BROCCOLI
All we need to do to show you how much your hair needs the supercharge of broccoli is give you this list of just some of the hair-fortifying nutrients you’ll find in this superfood:
- VITAMIN C: The collagen-boosting vitamin that strengthens the shape of your tresses
- VITAMIN A: A natural hydrator, for a well-moisturized head of hair
- IRON: A key mineral for the stimulation of thick, fast-growing hair
- VITAMIN B6: Helps your body form melanin, the top pigment for boosting healthy color
- PROTEIN: The building block of durable hair...you’ll find a good bit more here than in other leafy greens
- MAGNESIUM: Prevents excess calcium buildup on your scalp, to keep your follicles clear for hair growth
- ...and ANTIOXIDANTS: These disinfecting agents keep your scalp disease-free and healthy...just the way it needs to be for you to grow full, lustrous locks!
Combine these benefits with the ways in which broccoli can help improve your digestion...boost your eye and heart health...and reduce your cholesterol and it’s clear that, like always, mother knows best:
You really should eat your broccoli!14
ONLY THE BEST FOR YOUR HAIR
So, our report on the top five superfoods is in and happily, each and every one receives a clean bill of hair health!
They not only offer benefits to strengthen and nutrify your body they also make your hair stronger...help it grow faster...and keep it well-hydrated and simply exploding with rich natural color and shine
That’s why you should consider making all five of these foods a regular part of your diet.
Your body may thank you but we can promise, your hair will absolutely adore you for it!
- LD, Megan Ware RDN. “Superfoods: Health Benefits, Uses, and Risks.” Medical News Today, MediLexicon International, 17 May 2018, www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/303079.php.
- “10 Superfoods Women Should Eat.” Everyday Health, Everyday Health, 15 Nov. 2017, www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/10-superfoods-women-should-eat/.
- “Essential Omega 3 for Hair Growth.” Viviscal Healthy Hair Tips, blog.viviscal.com/omega-3-essential-fatty-acids-hair-growth/.
- “13 Amazing Benefits of Beta Carotene.” Natural Food Series, Publisher Name Natural Food SeriesPublisher Logo, 31 May 2018, www.naturalfoodseries.com/13-benefits-beta-carotene/.
- Health Fitness Revolution. “Top 10 Health Benefits of Kale • Health Fitness Revolution.” Health Fitness Revolution, 18 Apr. 2018, www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/top-10-health-benefits-kale/.
- Bruso, Jessica. “What Are the Health Benefits of Sardines?” LIVESTRONG.COM, Leaf Group, 3 Oct. 2017, www.livestrong.com/article/317267-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-sardines/.
- Hennessy, Regan. “Vitamin B12 for Hair Growth.” LIVESTRONG.COM, Leaf Group, 18 July 2017, www.livestrong.com/article/281153-vitamin-b12-for-hair-growth/.
- “Top 10 Foods That Improve Your Hair.” Fox News, FOX News Network, www.foxnews.com/health/2012/11/11/top-10-foods-that-improve-your-hair.html.
- “10 Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin.” Healthline, Healthline Media, www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric.
- SinrichJun, Jenn. “Turmeric's Benefits For Your Skin and Hair.” Reader's Digest, Reader's Digest, www.rd.com/health/beauty/turmeric-beauty-benefits/.
- “7 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Eat Beets.” Health.com, www.health.com/nutrition/beets-health-benefits.
- Miller, W. Greg. “Hair Loss Due to Potassium Deficiency.” LIVESTRONG.COM, Leaf Group, 3 Oct. 2017, www.livestrong.com/article/88617-hair-loss-due-potassium-deficiency/.
- Jackson, Kristin Collins. “How To Temporarily Tint Your Hair With Beets.” Bustle, Bustle, 25 Apr. 2018, www.bustle.com/articles/70702-how-to-dye-your-hair-with-beets-for-the-prettiest-all-natural-red-tint-youve-ever-seen.
- Szalay, Jessie. “Broccoli: Health Benefits, Risks & Nutrition Facts.” LiveScience, Purch, 15 June 2017, www.livescience.com/45408-broccoli-nutrition.html.