Your cart is eligible for additional savings:
4 Tips for Keeping Your Curls While You Sleep
Protecting your curls overnight is one of the most persistent hair challenges you can face. So you need some trusted techniques to keep your curls or waves on point while you get the sleep you need.
Have you ever had one of those days where it just seems like your hair can do no wrong?
You found a window on your busy to-do list to give your hair plenty of time and special attention. And you spent those valuable minutes lovingly pampering those locks, using the very best tools and styling products.
Overnight Curly Hair, the Results:
Bouncy, bountiful curls or voluptuous beachy waves the kind of look any professional stylist would be proud to take credit for. Those curls held their stunning shape, volume, and shine all throughout the day.
But as the sun goes down, it’s time to face that big question:
WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN IT’S TIME FOR BED?
“Everyone needs a good night’s sleep...just make sure your curls are ready for bed, too!”
No doubt about it:
Whether you’re gifted with natural curls or you owe those wavy tresses to your wand protecting them overnight is one of the most persistent hair challenges you can face. That means, if you want to maintain your hair’s spring and sparkle beyond the first day you need some trusted techniques to keep your curls or waves on point while you get the sleep you need.
With that in mind, here are a few elementary strategies for overnight curl protection.
Add them to your nightly routine, and you’ll pick your head up off that pillow with curls full of life and ready for the day!
TRY THE PINEAPPLE!
One of the best techniques to keep curls bright and bouncy while you sleep is called the pineapple and we don’t mean the fruit! All you have to do is pull your curls up to the top of your head, then put them in a loose ponytail.
If your hair is especially long or thick, you may want to split that tail into two pieces With your hair on top of your head like this, when you’re sleeping, much less of it will rub against the pillow. So when you wake up, you simply loosen the ponytail, shake it out...and your curls are right there where you left them!1
GIVE YOUR HAIR A PLOP
When we talk to women with natural curls, there’s a overnight tactic almost all of them swear by.
It’s called “plopping,” and it’s meant to be used on wet hair. So, if you usually wash your hair before bed, this curl-curating method is for you.
Here’s how it works:
- First, apply any overnight styling products you use, including your favorite leave-in conditioner.
- Lay a T-shirt on a countertop or chair seat. Make sure the sleeves are facing you.
- Flip your hair forward and lay it over the center of the T-shirt.
- Pull the hem of the T-shirt down to the nape of your neck.
- Then, tie the sleeves back behind your head in a knot, so your hair is completely covered.
Plopping lets the T-shirt soak up excess moisture, reducing your hair’s risk of frizziness. It also absorbs any extra conditioner or styling product. That way, your hair holds its curl...but won’t get brittle or crunchy.2
MAKE IT A STEAMY MORNING
Your morning routine is also a solid opportunity to put vivacity back in day 2 curls.
Simply give your curls a vigorous “good morning” shake. Then, without washing or wetting your hair, take a nice, hot, steamy shower.
The steam from the shower water will rehydrate your curls, without making them soggy or limp.
You can also give your waves rejuvenated smoothness and shine by applying your favorite oil or oil-based hydrating product.3
A PILLOWCASE AS SILKY AS YOUR CURLS
Finally, it’s important to remember that what you put on your overnight curls...is just as important as what you put them on. That means you want to avoid using a pillowcase made of cotton. It may be soft against your face but it can also dry out your hair...a sure-fire way to wake up with flat, lifeless curls!
For that reason, we recommend choosing a satin or silk pillowcase for your sleeping hours.
“Smoother, friction-free pillowcase materials are much friendlier for your curls or beachy waves!”
These materials are sleeker, so they naturally cause less friction with your hair. That means your curls will slip more easily over the fabric as you shift during sleep. As a result, you’ll get fewer knots, tangles, or flat patches in your hair. And, as an added bonus, this material will also create less risk of unsightly creases on your face!4
THE FRESHEST START TO YOUR DAY
With these overnight curl-saving techniques, you won’t have to lose even a minute of sleep to maintain your flawless style! Of course, these are just a handful of helpful hints for protecting your curls and waves while you sleep.
Can you think of any techniques you’ve used to keep your next-day curls lush and vibrant?
- If so, don’t hesitate to drop us a line with your own favorite practices.
- Of all the subjects our L’ange ladies contact us about here at Hair Talk, overnight curl upkeep is by far the one we get the most messages about.
- So watch this space, I’m sure we’ll be sharing more bedtime curl-and-wave safeguards with you very soon!
- Yates, Jacqueline Laurean. “Never Let Your Curls Get Flat Overnight Again?Here's How!”Glamour, Glamour Magazine, 26 May 2017, www.glamour.com/story/how-to-prevent-curls-from-falling-nighttime-techniques.
- NaturallyCurly. “NaturallyCurly.” NaturallyCurly.com, 29 Jan. 2018, www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop.
- Lisa, et al. “The Secret to Waking up with Great Curly Hair.” Hair Romance, 19 June 2016, www.hairromance.com/2013/11/the-secret-to-waking-up-with-great-curly-hair.html.
- Underwood, Khalea, and Mallory Heyer. “5 Ways To Sleep Without Totally Messing Up Your Hair.” www.refinery29.com/hair-after-sleeping?bucketed=true&bucketing_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F#slide-1.