Sometimes, there’s no easy way to break bad news.
So we’re just going to say it:
THERE IS NO CURE FOR SPLIT ENDS!
We know you hate to hear this. And we really wish it wasn’t true.
But when it comes to one of the most persistent, irritating hair problems…
...there’s no “magic wand” that makes it go away.
“No matter how much you wish there was a cure for split ends...it just doesn’t exist!”
Of course, that hasn’t stopped big-name hair care companies from dangling that bait.
They know how much the vitality and liveliness of your hair matters to you…
...and what you’d give to never face the embarrassment of brittle, frizzy split ends again!
“CURES” THAT CURE NOTHING
That’s why, when you walk down the hair care aisle at your supermarket or drugstore, those labels shout their promises:
“This treatment will make split ends a thing of the past!”1
But when you really look at how you get split ends in the first place...and what these treatments do to “cure” them…
...you’ll realize these products are less like miracles...and more like bandages.
They cover up the problem...without doing anything to heal it!
WHEN THEY SPLIT...THEY SPLIT FOR GOOD
You see, no matter whether your hair is fine or thick, each strand is made up of three layers.
And split ends occur thanks to a weakened outer layer...what’s known as the cuticle.
Your cuticle holds together and protects the middle layer of your hair, which is called the cortex.
This is where you find the pigment that gives your hair its color...and the natural moisture that keeps it soft and shiny.
But over time, your cuticles can be stripped away and dried out by a number of hazards…
...including the harsh cleaning additives in “drugstore” shampoos...and environmental factors, such as air pollution or UV sunlight.
Eventually, if enough of your cuticle wears away, your cortex is left exposed.
If this happens, it’ll only be a matter of time before the whole hair shaft splits down the middle.
And once it does...no amount of pampering or fuss will bind that hair back together for good!
SOLVE ONE PROBLEM...A NEW PROBLEM APPEARS
That means any hair product offering to “cure” your split ends is just giving you a quick fix.
These treatments work by encasing the broken shafts of your hair in a glue-like clear shell.
And this “cure” will hold those tips together...at least for a little while.
But that outer shell will make brushing and styling your hair an absolute hassle…
...robbing your locks of the flexibility to hold a proper curl, or give you buoyant bounce!
Plus, coating your hair like this makes it far more difficult to use your favorite styling products…
...because there’s no way for their dynamic ingredients to penetrate your strands!2
So, if you use one of these “cures,” don’t be surprised if you find yourself battling to achieve any sort of style you can be proud of…
...until those “miracle” bonds finally break...and you’re stuck with straggly split ends once again!
AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION…
It’s a simple fact that, unless you actually have experienced some sort of miracle, at some point in your styling life, you too have dealt with split ends.
If so, it’s good to know split ends are like a lot of the health-related issues you face:
The best way to “cure” them...is to keep from getting them in the first place!
Among the best split-end-preventing hair care techniques are:
- Apply conditioner directly to the tips of your tresses
- Wring and pat water from your hair, rather than aggressively rubbing a towel
- Only use a wide-toothed comb on wet hair...never a brush
- When straightening your hair, pull the flat iron behind your brush for extra detangling
“Straightening your hair while brushing it is a powerful way to reduce tangles and the risk of split ends!”
And, of course, there is one, no-fail method for banishing split ends for good:
JUST CUT THEM OFF!3
(NOT QUITE) A POUND OF CURE
But what if you’re a little shy of your skills with the scissors...or you don’t have a day free to see a stylist?
Well, there is a homemade natural treatment to tame split ends until you can remove them.
And it’s made from an unlikely ingredient...one healthy hair can’t get enough of:
You see, the natural oils produced by many fish, like anchovies, herring, and mackerel, are loaded with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
These fatty acids are rich in the replenishing moisture split ends so desperately need.4
And if you’re concerned about that unpleasant fish odor...don’t worry!
This treatment also includes the tropical aroma and follicle-friendly smoothness of coconut oil…
...along with a touch of lavender...to moisturize your scalp, reduce hair loss...and give your locks a fresh, fragrant scent!5
“The exquisite aroma of lavender is an enticing addition to this moisturizing hair treatment!”
TAKE YOUR SPLIT ENDS “FISHING”
To make this split-end-softening hair treatment, you’ll need:
- 2 or 3 capsules of fish oil
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 5 or 6 drops of lavender oil
And here’s how you do it:
- Combine all three ingredients in a saucepan.
- Heat the mixture on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring until it’s all well-combined.
- Then, pour the heated mixture into a large bowl.
- Dip your split ends into the bowl, and work the oil mixture into your hair, avoiding the roots.
- Once it’s applied, wrap your hair in a towel, and let the mixture set for 40 minutes.
- When you’re ready, give you hair a thorough shampoo to avoid excess oil buildup.
Of course, this fish oil treatment is not meant to substitute for an eventual hair trim.
But until you’re able to cut those split ends away, using this mask once a week will keep your hair looking healthy...and you feeling happy!6
A BREAK FROM BROKEN HAIR
We think it bears repeating:
There is no cure for split ends!
But if you’re looking to ease the styling headaches you get from those broken hair tips…
...our soothing fish oil treatment will ease your frustration until you can enjoy a proper trim.
Because split ends are kind of like having a cold:
You can’t cure either one. But with a little love and care, you can survive...and thrive!
- Smith, Elizabeth. “6 Of The Best Treatments That Will Repair Split Ends.” Career Girl Daily, 16 Apr. 2017, www.careergirldaily.com/treatments-that-will-repair-split-ends/.
- “Is Cutting Your Hair the Only Way to Rid Yourself of Split Ends?” South China Morning Post, South China Morning Post, 26 June 2017, www.scmp.com/lifestyle/health-beauty/article/2099681/cutting-your-hair-only-way-get-rid-split-ends.
- “How to Prevent Split Ends with Basic Styling Techniques.” SheKnows, SheKnows, www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/989723/how-to-avoid-split-ends.
- “Fish Oil, Salmon Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Krill Oil: What's the Difference?” Omega3 Innovations, omega3innovations.com/blog/fish-oil-salmon-oil-cod-liver-oil-krill-oil-whats-the-difference/.
- “Benefits of Lavender Oil for Your Hair.” Urban Bush Babes, urbanbushbabes.com/benefits-of-lavender-oil-for-your-hair/.
- Flinn, Allie. “How to Get Rid of Split Ends-No Haircut Required.” Byrdie, Byrdie, 6 Mar. 2018, www.byrdie.com/diy-split-end-remedies/slide3.