Fight Split Ends with This Easy 3-Ingredient Hair Mask
Once a hair strand is broken, there is no foolproof way to repair it for good. However, there are methods you can use to lessen the effects of damaged and broken hair.
One thing’s for sure:
When it comes to your hair, summer can be both a blessing and a curse.
These long, leisurely days are a great opportunity to show off your favorite sunny-day styles…
...from sensuous beachy waves, to kicky curls and sporty updos.
But the bad news is, summer also packs plenty of threats for the health and well-being of your hair…
...everything from punishing UV sunlight…
...to the moisture-sapping effects of salt water and swimming-pool chlorine.
“On a hot day, a dip in the pool can be just what you need...but your hair could be paying the price!”
And if your hair takes too much of a beating from these elements, you know what can happen:
Split ends and broken strands happen when your cuticles dry out.
These are overlapping scale-like structures on the inside of your hair. When they’re bonded the way they should be, they help your hair retain its shape, and stay strong and flexible.
But a variety of factors can cause your cuticles to dehydrate, including:
- Long periods of dry weather and low humidity
- Heavy heat damage from too much sun
- Rubbing your hair with a towel to dry it, instead of wringing or patting it dry
- Brushing your hair while it’s still wet
- Missing regular trims at your salon
And if your cuticles experience too many of these harsh conditions, they start to separate, which weakens the strands.
Frizz...brittleness...split ends...and eventually, full breakage.
“Split ends can resist even your best efforts to build and maintain a beautiful hairstyle”
AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION
Sadly, once a hair strand is broken, there is no foolproof way to repair it for good.
However, there are methods you can use to lessen the effects of damaged and broken hair.
A salon trim can clear out split ends, leaving fresher, less fragile hair in its place.
But really, when it comes to potential hair breakage, it’s just like that old saying:
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Simply stated, your best way to deal with broken hair is to fight the risk factors that cause hair to break in the first place.
And during the summer months, that means protecting your hair from excess heat, sunlight, and dryness.
FEED YOUR HAIR SOME YOGURT
So, to give you a start on battling those breakage-causing summer conditions, here’s a simple and effective do-it-yourself hair mask, especially designed for anti-breakage benefits.
The key component of this three-ingredient mask is Greek yogurt.
“Greek yogurt is not just a delicious way to start your day...it’s a powerful hair fortifier as well!”
This unique variety of the breakfast favorite is higher in hair-nourishing protein than other yogurts.
It’s also packed with vitamin D, which helps the body absorb a number of essential nutrients (like zinc and calcium) you need to grow thick, sturdy hair strands.2
But for this hair mask to be effective, you want to be sure to choose a Greek yogurt that is not high in sugar.
That means skip those yogurts with fruit on the bottom...they tend to carry the heaviest sugar load.3
GREEK YOGURT ANTI-BREAKAGE HAIR MASK
Here’s all you’ll need to make this breakage-fighting treatment:
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
And you can put together and apply this mask using just these few basic steps:
- Mix the three ingredients together in a bowl.
- Starting with dry hair, apply the mixture from your roots to your tips.
- Leave the mask to set for 15 minutes.
- Then, just rinse the mask off with cold water.4
Start using this mask 2-3 times a week, and you’ll enjoy strength-enhanced, moisturized, healthy locks that will last you all summer long!
“A carefree, hair-free summer can be all yours with properly prepared and protected tresses!”
DON’T HIDE YOUR HAIR FROM THE SUMMER
Summer should be a time for your whole body and self to shine in the warmth and beauty.
But it can be tempting to hide your hair away...rather than face the damaging effects of heat and sun.
Fortunately, all it takes is a little extra TLC to get your locks ready for summer.
And with this fast and easy-to-use hair mask...you can savor the season with maximum confidence and joy!
- “How to to Repair, Treat & Fix Damaged Hair.” Matrix, www.matrix.com/blog/9-ways-to-repair-treat-and-fix-damaged-hair.
- CORP., 3ANGLE. “Winter Hair - What Vitamin D Deficiency Does and How to Avoid It.”Nutrafol, 4 May 2018, www.nutrafol.com/blog/winter-hair-vitamin-d-deficiency-avoid/.
- Mitchell, Paul, and School Charlotte. “Healthy Foods for Your Hair.” Paul Mitchell the School | Austin, TX | Cosmetology | Esthetics, www.paulmitchell.edu/charlotte/blog/posts/healthy-foods-for-your-hair.
- Rajapet, Meenal. “15 Effective Hair Masks To Treat Hair Loss.” STYLECRAZE, IncnutIncnut, www.stylecraze.com/articles/effective-hair-masks-to-treat-hair-loss/#YogurtMask.